Join Susan Stockdale to discuss “Line Up!”
BOOK DISCUSSION DETAILS
3/5/2023 at 1:30pm
HOORAY FOR BOOKS
1555 KING ST STE 101
ALEXANDRIA, VA 22314-2738
About the Author:
Susan Stockdale began her art career as a textile designer for the apparel industry, providing her an opportunity to express her love of pattern and color. Today, pattern and color remain central to her work as the author and illustrator of critically acclaimed picture books that celebrate nature. Her books have won a variety of awards including the ALSC Notable Children’s Book, NCTE Notable Children’s Books in the Language Arts, NSTA Outstanding Science Trade Books for Students K–12, and the Bank Street College of Education Best Children’s Books of the Year.
About the Book:
Line up for this fascinating exploration of animal behavior from an award-winning author-illustrator!
Much like humans, many animals line up for a variety of reasons. Rather than forming lines for the school bus or recess, the animals featured in Susan Stockdale’s book form lines for
- safety: baby Mallard ducklings follow their mother to the water for their first swim
- warmth: turtles climb into a stacked line for a better share of the sun’s rays
- navigation: Arctic wolves follow the prints in the snow left by the pack leader
- food: ants line up to follow the scent of their leader to food and safety
- travel: pink flamingos form a line to reduce wind resistance and fly more efficiently
Featuring birds, crustaceans, fish, insects, mammals, and reptiles from around the world, Line Up is a cozy and comforting book that reminds us of our similarities while illuminating some specific, distinctive behaviors.